These are the primary developments because the Russian invasion of Ukraine enters its 514th day.
Right here is the state of affairs on Saturday, July 22, 2023.
- Russian President Vladimir Putin stated Kyiv’s counteroffensive was failing regardless of army and monetary assist from Western nations. “Neither the colossal sources which have been pumped into the Kyiv regime nor the provides of Western weapons, tanks, artillery, armoured automobiles and missiles are serving to,” he stated.
- Russia’s defence ministry stated it used high-precision weapons on Ukrainian amenities within the fourth successive day of assaults on port cities, Russia’s TASS information company reported.
- The UK’s ambassador to Ukraine stated air raid alerts a number of occasions a day are demanding. “Air raid alerts a number of occasions a day that final for under round quarter-hour a time are as unnerving as these additional aside however lasting longer, it seems. They hold your stress ranges at a everlasting excessive #russianinvasion.”
- Ukraine’s governor of the Odesa area stated Russia used Kalibr cruise missiles in its newest assault that injured two folks.
- The Wagner mercenary forces are not preventing in Ukraine, White Home Nationwide Safety Adviser Jake Sullivan stated.
- Ukraine’s governor of the Donetsk area stated two siblings have been killed in Russian shelling. A ten-year-old boy and his 16-year-old sister have been within the yard of their residence within the village of Druzhba when a Russian shell struck.
- A senior US defence official stated controversial cluster munitions equipped by the US are getting used “successfully” by Ukrainian forces in opposition to Russia’s invasion.
- A Moscow court docket remanded nationalist Kremlin critic Igor Girkin in investigative custody till September 18 on costs of incitement to extremism, the RBK information web site has reported. Girkin is a former FSB agent who was instrumental in organising a Russian-backed separatist rebel in japanese Ukraine in 2014. If convicted, he faces as much as 5 years in jail, the TASS and RIA information companies stated.
- China stated its place on the struggle in Ukraine stays “unchanging” and “clear”, the Russian information company TASS reported. “We’ll make efforts and proceed to play a constructive function with a view to advance the political course of to resolve the disaster,” Chinese language International Ministry spokesperson Mao Ning stated.
- Ukraine’s President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has dismissed Ukraine’s ambassador to the UK. The presidential order gave no cause for the dismissal.
- European Fee President Ursula von der Leyen praised Ukraine’s “wonderful” progress in implementing reforms to struggle corruption, protect minority rights and guarantee an impartial judiciary.
- The Russian defence ministry stated its navy carried out drills that simulated motion to seal a piece of the Black Sea. The manoeuvres come after Moscow declared massive areas of the Black Sea harmful for navigation following its withdrawal from the Black Sea grain deal.
- Ukraine’s defence ministry said it will consider all ships travelling to Russian and Russian-occupied Ukrainian Black Sea ports as potential carriers of army cargo.
- Putin accused Poland of getting territorial ambitions within the former Soviet Union and stated any aggression in opposition to shut ally Belarus can be thought-about a menace in opposition to Russia. Putin’s menace comes after reviews that Poland had deployed troops to its border with Belarus.
- Germany and NATO members are ready to assist Poland in defending its japanese flank, German defence minister Boris Pistorius stated.
- The Russian parliament desires to extend the utmost age for army recruits by three years, to the age of 30, the top of the Russian State Duma Defence Committee has stated. The minimal recruitment age is to remain at 18, the Interfax information company reported, citing senior legislator Andrey Kartapolov.
- The US plans to quickly announce a brand new army help package deal for Ukraine price as much as $400m, primarily comprised of artillery, air defence missiles and floor automobiles.
- Bulgaria will ship about 100 armoured personnel carriers to Ukraine within the Balkan nation’s first cargo of heavy tools to Kyiv.
Black Sea grain deal
- Russia’s withdrawal from the Black Sea grain deal is predicted to drive meals costs increased in Asia however the affect will probably be muted for now, analysts stated. Below the Black Sea deal, Asia obtained 46 p.c of shipments of grains and different foodstuffs, whereas Western Europe and Africa took 40 p.c and 12 p.c, respectively.
- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan stated his deliberate talks with Russian President Vladimir Putin might result in restoring the Black Sea grain deal, and he referred to as on Western nations to think about Russia’s calls for, Turkish broadcaster Haberturk reported.
- Moscow stated it’s going to do “all it might probably” to guard Africa from the implications of withdrawing from the Black Sea grain export deal, Russian Deputy International Minister Sergey Vershinin stated.
- Vershinin accused Ukraine of utilizing the grain export hall to launch “terrorist assaults” in opposition to Russian pursuits, together with on the Crimean bridge.
- The spike in grain costs within the days since Russia stop the deal grain “probably threatens starvation and worse for tens of millions of individuals,” the United Nations help chief Martin Griffiths stated.
- The UN’s political affairs chief Rosemary DiCarlo advised the UN Safety Council that Russia’s assaults on Black Sea ports danger “having far-reaching impacts on world meals safety, specifically, in growing nations”. DiCarlo stated that threats by Russia and Ukraine to probably goal civilian vessels have been unacceptable.
- French President Emmanuel Macron’s prime diplomatic advisor stated China is delivering gadgets to Russia that might be used as army tools.
- Iran “reserves the appropriate for reciprocal and proportional motion” after the European Union imposed new sanctions over Tehran’s assist for Russia’s struggle on Ukraine, the international ministry stated. “Linking the Ukraine struggle with Iran-Russia bilateral cooperation is politically motivated,” Iran’s international ministry spokesman Nasser Kanaani stated.